Monday, 12 May 2008

Am I a camping convert?

I actually had a really good time. I did go in with a positive attitude, there's no point whinging about something when it has to be done after all.

We had gorgeous weather the whole weekend, we had to slather ourselves repeatedly in sun cream from 9am to about 3pm both days.

We only set up three tents in the end, as we ended up with 2 Guiders, 4 Guides and my Brownie daughter. The other Guider and her daughter came down very ill two days before, the Guider very worryingly so actually, she had quite a scary time of it though she seems to be recovering a bit now.

So we had a tent for the 4 Guides, a tent for the two Guiders and the Brownie and an enormous tent to store all the equipment and food.

I think that's what puts me off camping over taking the girls away indoors: putting up tents, cleaning all the equipment, taking down tents, drying them off (which was easy in the baking sun but obviously is a nightmare in rain or mud) and also all the equipment you need personally.

Anyway, the girls had a blast, and did so much: archery, built ballisters (google it, I didn't know either), jousted on hobby horses, made medieval hats, patrol shields and most fun of all medieval arts - which was really circus skills.

The circus instructor was fantastic, and he was also the evening entertainment - after the pig roast! He was really really funny and had everyone in the palm of his hand for 45-50 mins, it just flew by so I'm not quite sure.

There was also a campfire on Saturday night, and the leader of that was great, got everyone up, even those that didn't really want to and made suitable mockery of the cubs who were also staying on site and were invited to join us for the campfire.

Daughter raced through her camper badge without even realising, just by dint of helping cook, collecting water, making stuff, doing her bedding roll and so on. She also nearly completed her circus performer badge too, she just needed to design a clown face and since she has done that at school and you can have one requirement done at school, she's passed that too.

So that's all the news that's fit to print. I survived, and enjoyed myself, but can't see me choosing to do it beyond the next trip in July.

Oh, and I have a bit of a tan too!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com