Sunday, 20 July 2008

Pussy cat, pussy cat, where have you been?

My Canadian Guider friend came to visit and despite never meeting before, we just spent 72 hours together!

Together with her nine year old daughter, she came to our house on Thursday afternoon. We collected her at our local station - she saw my son and daughter before I saw her and called their names; despite knowing they were going to collect her, they still looked stunned that this stranger knew their names.

They stayed at our house Thursday night then on Friday we went to the nearby abbey, same place as we went with the Brownies a couple of weeks ago (I should link but I am too tired, you can track it down my links if you really want to!). The kids had great fun swinging from trees and clambering everywhere.

Friday afternoon, my husband took over looking after our son and me, Canadian Guider and our two nine year old girls went to London.

We stayed at Baden Powell House on Friday night - very weird, it was exactly a year since I went there with our Brownies for the Harry Potter book launch, and not only that, we got put in exactly the same bedroom, so I slept in the same bed I slept in 366 days ago!

Saturday we packed in loads: Buckingham Palace, Girlguiding Commonwealth Head Quarters, riding a double-decker bus, Pax Lodge World Guiding Centre, Tower of London, Tower Bridge, then off to our next place for the night - a Youth Hostel. We recharged a bit then set off to the big highlight of the trip - the Sound of Music in the West End.

It was sooooooo good, really loved it, but it was so hard not to sing along.

This morning, we went to see Big Ben, the London Eye, Houses of Parliament and Westminster Abbey (there was a service on so I couldn't show her the Baden Powell corner). Then we headed to the train station and my daughter and I left her and her daughter on the train when we got off at our station so she could continue on to her nan's house up north.

I had a really great time, and when you consider that during the 72 hours we were apart only during the Thursday night when they were in our spare bedroom and whenever one of us went to the loo, we got on very well for four people who had never met before. The girls were funny, they got on well too and got very giggly together even though they probably aren't that alike, my daughter being quite tomboyish and Canadian Guider's daughter being more girly.

She has another week in the UK, up north. Can't wait to hear from her when she gets back.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com