Friday, 17 April 2009

Easter in Wales

Went on my very first proper old-school Brownie pack holiday this Easter, from Friday to Monday, in Wales - 4 hours away.

We were invited by a pack in Lancashire, and together with a pack from Scotland, there were 20 Brownies, 4 Guides (including my daughter) and 7 leaders - I know 7 seems a lot but we all seemed to be busy all the time!

We went for a lovely walk to a waterfall, saw loads of lambs (some so new they still had umbilical cords!), watched a movie...lots of good stuff.

It did make me realise how privileged our girls are, there were girls there who had toilet trouble after 24 hours - they had eaten fruit and veg for the first time since their pack holiday the year before and it had gone straight through them! There was a girl with special needs, a girl with some worrying food issues - "I am a vegan and I know that jelly says vegan but my mum says companies lie all the time and hurt the animals so I'd better not eat" - and another whose dad was murdered five weeks before.

Two girls wet the bed on the second night too, so it was all quite eventful. But I loved the area, and taking part in a real old-fashioned pack hol was great. Daughter relished the extra freedom the Guides were given over the Brownies, staying up later, leading on tasks and so on.

We went back a different way, we'd travelled mostly on motorways on the way up but tried a more country route on the way back and it was just beautiful. We even ate our packed lunches at a table on the banks of a river and had the most fabulous ice cream before getting back in the car.

If North Wales could always be that sunny, I'd totally holiday there!

3 comments:

Working mum said...

Glad you let me know where you were - I had wondered. Will of course, continue to read about the delights of Guiding (being a Queen's Guide, how could I not?!) especially as I feel I may be drawn back in to the Guiding world when daughter starts Rainbows next year!

Kelloggsville said...

Missed you and Guiding was why I was here in the first place so really pleased you are still happy to share (I have changed names too).

Amazing the differences in children from the different 'types' of packs, great to have experience outside of normal comfort zone.

I am off to Foxlease next weekend - quite excited!
x

Strictly said...

Thanks guys, glad you followed me! And Kelloggsville, hope you enjoy Foxlease...I've been to Hautbois but not Foxlease.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com