Saturday, 29 August 2009

I got my grubby girl back from Guide camp

Now I can tell you where they were: Brownsea Island, the birthplace of Scouting and Guiding. Baden Powell held the very first Scout camp there way back in 1907.

So a really special place - I was very envious!

She had a blast - low ropes, archery, swimming at a waterslide place on the mainland.
She had "the maximum number of showers" which turned out to be two.
She cooked sausages, bacon and eggy bread - yum, love eggy bread.
She didn't fall out with her friends.
She loved the letter I wrote her.
The cookies I sent were used as bribes for the 2 year old who was camping with them.
She cried a few times (all through tiredness) though never seriously, her leader said.
She got homesick one time, the day she knew I was in Poole just across the harbour from her, but not enough to need to talk to me.
She had enough clothing and footwear and everything else.

Pretty good all round.

Kelloggsville asked about her rucksack. It was from Mountain Warehouse, we got it from their outlet store, but it is available online, it's a Drifter 60+20. I know that picture looks like it has lots of strappy bits and the main reason for buying it was to not have hanging bits. But everything zips away. The small bag you see on the front zips off for use as a daysack. There's a great long strap you can see hanging down on the left of the picture, it's all padded and makes it easy to carry that way, it's detachable so she didn't take it as she didn't need it. And the other straps relate to the back and there is a cover that pulls up and zips round quickly so you are left with a large bag with nothing dangling, just a handle on the top and a handle on the side.

It also has, and we didn't discover this till she tried it on, an adjustable back height thing, so you end up with the weight distributed just right for your height, and the hip fastening comes in just the right place. It took some working on, but we got it just right for her and it made a real difference to how easy it was for her to carry.

The last thing we really liked was a large zippable pocket at the bottom - very large as it fit her wellies, trainers and water shoes! Not only that but you could slip your hand through to the main part of the rucksack and pull something out the bottom without having to unpack it all.

Definitely not a cheap rucksack, but ideal for what she needed and we'll get years of use out of it because it is so well made and thought out, so well worth it.

So she's eaten, had a bath, washed her hair and is relaxing in her soft and clean bed. I'm very happy to have her back.

PS: I gave her leaders these meringues each to say thank you. It was hard to give them away!

8 comments:

smalltownmom said...

I'm glad she had a great trip, and glad she is back home again too!

Jen on the Edge said...

It sounds like a great week! I'm glad she had a good time, but also happy that she's home with her family again.

Kelloggsville said...

wow - camp at Brownsea with eggy bread! I am so pleased the friends all got on, I think that makes a massive difference.

Thank you for taking the time to share about the rucksack. I have book marked it. Am tempted to get one now whilst they are on special. She camps in April next year for the first time.

The meringues were a good move - I have a psot part written about (lack of) thank yous from parents. I will get around to finishing it!

I have actually found myself thinking about you and your daughter this week and wondering how it was all going. I am really pleased it was all positive - maybe a Mountain Top moment?!

Anonymous said...

Brownsea Island is such a lovely place to go. My daughter may be camping there next year and we have been as a family. Love the rucksack it is similar to one of ours.

Have never given meringues as a thank you, but have never seen those ones before, usually give a thank you note, wine and choc/flowers and ometimes recive the same from children we have taken away. I will remember that one.

Jx

Working Mum said...

I wondered where you'd got to! (I must have lost your new blog address)

Sounds like she had a great time. I was looking at some old photos of me on Guide Camp today - happy times!

Tawny said...

I am glad she had a great time. I am taking my lot away for the weekend in November. I am doing my license, eek!

Kelloggsville said...

2010 and I'm back checking out the rucksack again!

Jen said...

Lol - I actually bought one for me two in April this year, it's that good!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com