Sunday, 6 September 2009

We are 100!

Girlguiding is 100!

This weekend is a really special weekend for Guiding here in the UK. It's exactly 100 years since some enterprising girls snuck into Lord Baden Powell's Boy Scout rally and demanded Scouting for girls.

With his sister Agnes, he went on to set up Girl Guides in October 1910. So from September 4 until next October, we are celebrating our centenary year.

As a unit, we are encouraged to "Brownies Take Over" so our Brownies will be taking over a local steam railway place and having rides and fun next May.

We will also be taking part in a special event next Thinking Day to mark the occasion, and finally we hope to do two other things: a special sleepover (venue not yet decided but probably either London or Oxford) and a fun march and party in Birmingham alongside all 9 counties in the Midlands Region.

Then at 20:10 on 20/10 (Oct 20) in the year 2010 every member of Girlguiding will take her promise again and get a special promise badge that she can wear throughout her time in Guiding, not changing it if she changes sections (eg from Brownies to Guides, Guides to Rangers) but only people who took part at that exact date will be allowed to wear it.

Party party party!

3 comments:

Kelloggsville said...

Thank you for the link - very exciting - we had a ball - I wondered if you were there!

Our Unit aren't going to "taking over the tracks" but I was thinking of volunteering to help out. I think we will end up crossing paths this year - I wonder if we will know - how interesting and exciting!!!!!!

I reckon we are on for the best year of Guiding ever - don't you - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Jen on the Edge said...

What an exciting year! I'm looking forward to hearing more about it -- and learning more about Girl Guiding in the UK -- in the coming months.

This year will be the first since 2004 that I won't have a Girl Scout.

Anonymous said...

OOh I hope both my girls get to make the promise at 20.10 (Little one should hopefully be a Rainbow by then) almost worth renewing my warrant for ;-) although I have to say I do renew both the Scout and Guide promise every St.Geoge’s day when we all gather together as I am stood with the Scouts I do get a few strange looks but one of our ASL's also renews both. Once a Guide always a Guide!

Jx

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com