Wednesday, 16 December 2009

Not Guiding, but thought-provoking

This article will make me think about how I approach our community service projects with other charities.

I know sometimes I have teenagers marking off their time for Duke of Edinburgh Award with our unit and they disappear as soon as they have hit their minimum time allocation. I understand that at that age you have so much to balance with schoolwork that anything that can be ticked off, is. But I also know I feel sad that those kids only think the Brownies are worth working with for x number of hours.

So, when we do our community service, I want to be sure that what the Brownies do is helpful and not insulting so I'm going to keep this article in mind.

3 comments:

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

That is very thought-provoking. I'm going to ponder it a while and then read it again.

It's sad that some kids view community service that way. I hope they're the exception and not the norm.

Tawny said...

Wow. I can see some of D of E 'helpers' in that article....

TopChamp said...

I think the article covers the reality of it but the point of allowing volunteers to join in community projects is the hope that SOME will be inspired to find out more - to volunteer more - and some will be inspiring.

I volunteered as a teen with disabled adults - some youngish some older. I loved it, and I hope I didn't say anything insensitive. But if I did it would have been inadvertant, whilst I was learning more about people I had no prior experience of, and wanted to spend more time with.

I don't worry about those who volunteer for short times as teenagers - who knows what impact it will have later in their lives?

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com