Friday, 12 February 2010

Slammed and bruised

Last night, we had a great meeting all about Germany, run by me and my German friend, H.
The girls:
  • learned about Guiding in Germany
  • looked at slides of H's life in Germany including her kids' school and their house
  • learned the German Guiding promise in German
  • played Der Fuchs - a German variation on the cat and mouse game we often play
  • ate:
  1. H's marble cake
  2. pretzels
  3. Lebkuchen (gingerbread stars)
  4. German bread (rye, I think?)
  • practiced the numbers 1-20 in German
  • learned Brownie Bells, the song we normally sing at the end of the meeting, in German, and then sang it in German at the end.
It was a great night, they all seemed to have fun. However, because Guides were not meeting last night, I had to lock up our meeting place afterwards. My worst bit is usually setting the alarm and locking up - what if it goes off??? - but this time it was shutting and locking the car park gates, because my hand got trapped.

There are two really heavy gates and they have to be brought together and then padlocked - as I tried to hook one gate into the hole in the ground, my co-leader brought the other gate round...it was pitch dark...and my fingers got slammed by the gate.

I didn't swear, or scream, I did cry! My fingers had frakking dents in them! I've been to A&E today and they are not broken, which is good, but the bones are bruised, I didn't even know you could bruise bones!

I don't ever want to lock up again! If Guides aren't meeting, I'm going to cancel Brownies just to avoid it!

7 comments:

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

Ach nein!

I'm so sorry about your fingers. Hopefully, they'll heal quickly.

Kelloggsville said...

eeeek

Did you not swear because you didn't learn the German for it?!

Hope you heal quickly x

Jen said...

Oh I can swear in German!

alison said...

I would have sworn in German. And in English, and Italian, and Portuguese and Gaelic and Swahili and Welsh too. Oh and in French. I'm good at swearing in French.

I hope they feel better soon.

TopChamp said...

Poor you for the fingers, but again you got so many things done... How do you manage it?

Working Mum said...

Oww! Hope they're healing up now. I would have cried too.

Jen said...

Top Champ, the meeting plan was this:

10mins: I show them printouts and talk about Guiding in Germany
10mins: H shows them the slides of Germany and some "props" she brought
10mins: practicing the promise in German in sixes
10 mins: playing Der Fuchs
15 mins: food
15 mins: numbers 1-20 and Brownie Bells
Last 5 mins: actually do Brownie Bells and also hand out newsletters etc

We ran pretty much to plan throughout. I wouldn't say any of them memorised any German but we gave them sheets with the promise, Brownie Bells and the numbers on so they could have another go at home if they wanted, and they did learn a little about pronounciation.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com