Thursday, 5 August 2010

Trivial? No, life-changing

Girlguiding UK has today launched a campaign to have airbrushed pictures labelled so that girls (and boys) don't have unrealistic expectations of how they can/should look.

Read all about the campaign here, including a petition you can sign.

Fellow Guider Kelloggsville posted on this already today, including some videos of untouched/retouched pictures.

Trivial?

Not when you consider these statistics:
  • 50 per cent of 16- to 21-year-old girls would consider having surgery to change the way they look
  • 42 per cent of 11- to 16-year-olds admit to watching what they ate or cutting down on certain foods to excess.
This campaign chimes so perfectly with the GGUK principles of letting kids be kids but arming them with the information and skills they need to become healthy, well-balanced adults.

6 comments:

Kelloggsville said...

I missed the petition link, I have added it and linked you back. I do hope it is taken seriously in the end. It feels a little like the old "smoke Navy ciggies, good for the lungs". When is the world going to wake up and smell the coffee?

Tawny said...

I think this is a brilliant campaign and have added my name!

TopChamp said...

OK... I'm for it.

pixielation said...

My daughters are 6 and 8, and I want them to grow up aspiring to be fit and healthy, not looking at images that are simply unrealistic and unachievable. This is an excellent campaign for the guides to get behind. I hope it can make an impact. I've signed the petition too.

Jen on the Edge said...

This is excellent! Airbrushing is so prevalent now that I automatically assume it's been done and that what I'm looking at is fake.

Anonymous said...

Have you seen the Hoodie that GirlGuiding Anglia has produced?

http://www.girlguiding-anglia.org.uk/product.asp?id=228

Hope to see someone wearing one soon.

Jx

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com