Tuesday, 14 December 2010

familiar? oh yes!





So, this time last year, I took part in Jen on the Edge's Holiday Homes tour. I'm taking part again, but for those of you who saw our decorations last year, this is going to seem eerily familiar. I take pride in the fact that our house looks the same (mess) every year.

This year, the only changes are centred around the tree:
  • the tree is slightly smaller which does at least mean we don't snag on the branches as we walk in the room
  • we have a new stand, the four plastic legged stand that we've had for years had a leg snapped off in the tree-putting-up, so I have acquired a circular one with a foot pump that clamps onto the tree. It seems much easier but I am reserving judgement until we get through the next couple of weeks without the tree going splat
  • and finally, the tree was wholly decorated by the children this year. This has resulted in what can only be described as a melange on the front of the tree and a single strand of tinsel on the back. From the street, it looks like we couldn't afford baubles. From the living room, it looks like Christmas threw up on the tree. Love it!
Here's the guide to what you can see:
  1. The paltry decorations in daughter's room, thanks to an ill-timed strop which means her brother got all the spare Christmas lights for his room...
  2. ...as you can see here!
  3. The Daleks on top of the bookcase - actually they are there all year but they inevitably end up being played with at Christmas so I am counting them
  4. My Christmas glass bells, bought in Austria in 1994 - they predate even meeting my husband and are precious to me because they represent "adult" Christmas, ie Christmas not at my mum and dad's house. Every year I am thrilled to take them out and find they are still intact, long may that last
  5. The Christmas Minis Tirith - came with a DVD boxset years ago, immediately became our Christmas table centrepiece for every year to come
  6. The heavily laden tree
  7. The star for the top of the tree
  8. The Christmas barbed wire - bought with my then boyfriend now husband to decorate the shared house where we lived, and put up for the 15 subsequent Christmases! Mangy, horrible looking, a crucial part of Christmas
  9. A reindeer card with baby son's feet and a Christmas wreath with baby daughter's hands - both are big galumphing school kids now and love seeing just how tiny they once were
  10. The string of candy canes is one of my favourite decorations, this year on our Paul Klee print
  11. Merry Christmas - I made this, back when I did cross stitch, I don't do it any more but this is one of the pieces I was most proud of. I didn't frame much, but I am glad I framed this.
  12. The thing that hangs along the mantlepiece - don't know what it is called!
  13. Our nativities: a Playmobil one, a painted wooden one and a solid wood one, plus a star Christmas tree, Santa and his sleigh, a few others bits and pieces...and son's apple juice!
That's our Christmas, apart from a few strands of tinsel round all the pictures, a cuddly snowman next to the tv, and a wreath on the front door. But it's dark now, so I can't get a picture of that!

11 comments:

smalltownmom said...

I have the same old decorations every year, but I put them in different places to mix it up.

Tawny said...

It looks lovely, My K decorated the tree this year and it looks much like yours :)

badness jone said...

I love your fat tree! All the trees at the farm we went to this year were anemic. So we have a 9' high tree (and that's after we took 2 feet off the top) that's barely 4 feet wide! And I think letting the kids decorate the tree is great. I have to admit to having serious control issues though, and I "help" my children a lot when we do ours!

unmitigated me said...

Christmas Daleks, sure, until they start destroying the planet...love the Minas Tirith, too. They really made Tolkein come to life with that city.

Green Girl in Wisconsin said...

It's full of spirit and joy--so pretty!

Michele P said...

Love it! Kudos to you for letting the kids decorate the tree. I'll admit to stealthily moving ornaments to balance it out when the kids decorated. I wonder why they're not interested in it any more?
Your sense of fun is so clear--it makes me happy!

Jen on the Edge said...

I can't decide what I like the most -- the Daleks, the barbed wire, or the Playmobil. It's all truly fabulous.

alison said...

Looks lovely, Jen. I couldn't get it together in time to play this year, but like you, it would have been eerily familiar to see pictures of my house (if I'd have taken them), as it's the same set of decorations as last year and the year before.

alison said...

It looks lovely Jen!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I haven't done cross stitch in a while, but that makes me want to pick it up again.

bdaiss said...

Love the cross-stitch! I'm afraid I'm with you however. I have about 4 unfinished project which went by the wayside when the Boy was born...

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com