Sunday, 10 February 2013

Thinking Day (early)

Our division held Thinking Day yesterday. It should be held on Feb 22nd, or at least the closest weekend, because the whole point of the date is that it was Lord Baden Powell's birthday, as well as his wife Olave's, who was World Chief Guide.
But half term means our numbers are often very low for this event, so it was decided we would try an earlier event, and as we had 126 girls yesterday, that seems like a success to me!

We used the theme of survival, and it seemed a great success (even if I do say so myself, as I was one of the organisers!)
I didn't get to see everything in action as I was running one of the zones. Reports back were that it worked well though.
We had an intro and then the girls were split into 5 groups mixed Rainbows, Brownies and Guides (no Senior Section signed up, we would have catered for them too if they had. Four Senior Section did volunteer to come and help in my zone.)

  • Caring Zone: a 10 min video from Toybox charity of how street children live and what is being done to try and help them, then making collection boxes to collect spare change for the charity.
  • Shelter Zone: (our zone) we had boxes, newspapers, fabric, plastic sheeting, a few canes and some string. The girls had to make a shelter that fitted in everyone from their group. I particularly liked the shelter one Guide group made using canes and lashings.
  • Food zone: not just cooking chapattis but also using stones to grind the flour needed, it was a real eye opener for the girls to see how little flour they got for so much effort.
  • Water zone: they learned about filtering, about how heavy water can be to carry, and (very hard hitting) how often a child dies because of dirty water (every 15 seconds)
  • Communication zone: ways of communicating without using technology.
There was a speech at the start, a speech at the end, a presentation for 20 years service, and then we all sang a Rainbow finishing song, Brownie Bells, and Taps. For those of it running it there was a bit of clear up: I did have one leader ask me for the cardboard and plastic sheeting so she could run the shelter zone in her own unit, so despite the fact I had an enormous sack of rubbish that I took to the tip this morning, I still had less than I arrived with, always a bonus!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com