Wednesday, 12 November 2014

Poppies

Straight after our day out at Drayton Manor for Girlguiding Midlands Megaday, we had to drag our weary bones out of bed, put on our barely dried uniforms, pin on a poppy and head out for Remembrance Sunday.
I have to confess I wasn't terribly sympathetic to the parents who texted me to let me know their daughter wouldn't make it due to being tired. We were all tired but I feel Remembrance is a duty, part of serving your community by demonstrating that young people are learning about what happened and are grateful for the sacrifices made in their name.
Our ceremony isn't terribly long and I was then able to get to the other nearby one where my son was marching with Scouts.
It's been a big thing this year, Remembrance, what with the 100 years since the Great War. Normally I take part in one ceremony, and collect a child from another.
This year, that happened, but also:
I saw the poppies in London (very moving). I took part in a two minute silence at work on Armistice Day. And I saw the three top years from our community primary (including many of our Brownies) take part in planting 11 trees on 11/11 to commemorate 11 soldiers from the Great War who had links to our town, including poet Rupert Brooke.
Definitely a time to reflect.

2 comments:

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

I would have loved to have seen the poppies. I'm so glad you had the opportunity to do so.

char said...

I@m sad that I didn't make it to see the poppies.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com